Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Grandma’s Knot

Early college days were my best days in many ways. Freedom from the control of the school teachers, no uniform, no discipline and ability to choose my Life to an extent. I felt like a toddler sneaking out of the house from under the watchful eyes of the mother. Experiencing new environment, tasting mud, smelling fresh air and so on.

During this time, I read books on various subjects, exposed myself to various hobbies, interests, philosophies and so on. There were many things which I could do within my limited means and time and many were left desirable.

One such desirable was, training in scouts or any Para disciplines like NCC etc. Practical experience was not possible so I started reading about its basics. And as usual Mind started its mapping.

One of the aspects I came across was use of ropes and knots in camping, hiking and even in seamanship.

Knots interested me a lot. Various types, for different purposes and different levels of ease of tying and untying them etc. And amongst various terms describing them, I came across the term “grandma’s knot.”

To all of us who are lucky or not so lucky to have grown up under Grandma, know this one knot naturally.

Most of us in many societies grow up under Grandma, her love and affection, care and mentoring her obligations fills us with Gratitude invariably.

But the Mind (resisting the temptation to call it my Mind!!) is now trained to validate everything in the Life without any prejudice or see things as they are.

So, Mind analyzed, Grandma = Grand + Mother = Grand Source?

If it is a source then its acceptance must be directly related to the results?

If a steam provides water it is accepted or rejected by its contents, which is in fact the amount of nutrients or contaminants in additions to other physical properties? And to the worst of my knowledge, nutrients are short lived as they tend to decay if not consumed when necessary, but contaminants have a tendency to multiply and inflict more undesirable results as the time passes.

With the same analogy, are we not receiving from the grand source, contaminants along with the nutrients? Which are conditionings in the name of tradition, family pride or honour, religious and so called philosophical values along with many other dos and don'ts.

All of which are based on the resources of the source? The resources of the source are again conditioning and experiences of its own Grand Source?

Aren’t such conditioning binding instead of freeing us. Do they allow us to come out of the well and jump in to the sea or fly in the sky? Do they allow us to run to other people’s Grandma in same way as we run to our Grandma?

Mind wanders, is Grandma’s Knot easily openable as it is said?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is difficult...almost impossible to open GRANDMA'S KNOT.
Sidhartha dared to leave his father and all the comforts and he became Buddha. My religion quest is not of/from my father's and my mother's...unless I dare to ask and question...there is no chance for any light. It is very difficult to get free from all that...

Sailin Gudhka said...

Idiot person again commenting sirji jaada nahi thoda dimag aapkaa muje bhi do naa on loan basis. Real good.

Anonymous said...

Nice post! I don't think that Grandma's knot is so easy open. Sankharas ...

Unknown said...

i m still lucky to have the knot in my life...what a blissful knot it is.

a very difficult knot to un-knot...

sureshbhai, kya likhte ho, how do u get the inspirations???