Friday, November 21, 2008

Double-edged Sword:

Early days of my spiritual journey, in my 20s, I walked in to United Lodge of Theosophy in Bombay on one Wednesday evening session. The session was a Q&A session of the theosophical studies conducted by Late Madam Sophia Wadia, (wife of a well known theosophist Late Mr. B P Wadia). The lady had a remarkable glow on her face, which I have seen in very few great people like J Krishnamurti and others. The serenity on her face was equally impressive. Her punctuality and the manner of conducting her sessions by precise language was striking, not a word extra nor an incomplete explanation of a concept.

Students asked various questions and she answered them with strikingly effective words backed by her experience and subject knowledge. One of the answers to the question I have never forgotten. I am grateful to her for this answer and will remain always for making me understand the law of Karma and to look at things from various angles.

Someone asked her, “If I see a beggar on the road in a miserable condition, do I let go myself thinking that he is paying for his Karma?” Her answer was “Yes, he is paying for his Karma but what Karma you are generating at that moment?”

My theoretical spiritual journey continued for several year after that until I came in contact with Goenka and started practicing Vipassana meditation. Concepts turned in to experience and experience brought Wisdom.

Mind wonders… if concepts are not understood, do they stop there? Or are they necessarily misunderstood?

Responsive action to the beggar’s karma, makes me a better human being or a bigger beggar?

I remember Goenka saying “Dhamma (Law of Nature) is a double edged sword it will cut either way” ….

4 comments:

Sailin Gudhka said...

Bravo.....Excellent write up.

Anonymous said...

The question Mrs Wadia asked was mind blowing...just stunning!
Also the concluding para of your post is superb...double edged sword....how true!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if human being is an INDIVIDUAL. When my daughter was diagnozed as diabetic (type 1) at the age 13...i was wondering if it is her karma or my karma...
Other day I was eating a piece of delicious pizza while watching BBC and saw thousands of people in CONGO/AFRICA almost in stampede to grab few biscuits from relief agency...the taste if pizza changed then and there...I wonder if human being is an Individual...

Unknown said...

am moved by the comment of narain, and equally moved at the article in reply to this one...

there are some questions, even theology might have to grapple with, for answers...